Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Rich
Rice Park

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby Rich » October 15th, 2014, 7:25 am

On the Chicago side, the stadium has a massive plaza and a huge glass wall which opens up to the outside. What can be more inviting than that?
You're right. And this tends to be overlooked. If one starts at the intersection of Norm McGrew and 4th, and walks counterclockwise around the perimeter of the new stadium until reaching Carew and 6th. All of that - about 1,000 continuous feet - will be fronted with glass at street-level. Very inviting.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 15th, 2014, 8:41 am

There has to be some activity behind that glass as well. Obviously there will be plenty of activity on game days, but I don't know if other events will be able to activate all 1000 feet of open glass.

Rollerdome probably would :D

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » October 15th, 2014, 9:40 am

Rollerdome will be back. So will running clubs in the winter. So will Monster truck rallies and high school sports and cultural events and trade shows and tons of new stuff we haven't even thought of yet.

Out of more than 300 event days per year at the Metrodome, less than 100 featured professional or major college sports. The rest of the event days were used by high schools and colleges, concerts, community activities and other events. The Metrodome drew more than 4,000 runners and 30,000 inline skaters per year. Co-ed volleyball and touch football leagues brought in 2,000 people per week to the Metrodome between October and February of 2012. Google it. Those are real numbers in a stadium that was old and smelly and cramped and about to be demolished. Imagine the interest from these organizations once our stadium is new and huge and full of light and connected to the skyway with a 35 (hopefully) story apartment building across the street.

The New stadium will be active.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 15th, 2014, 9:48 am

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 21st, 2014, 7:59 am

I'd also say that the Post Office and Guthrie are both good Urbanism. While the post office may be a little sleepy now, I'd bet when it was built it was a hive of activity, creating lots of pedestrian traffic. And I think the Guthrie does a really good job of meeting both the river side and the downtown side. So urbanism doesn't just mean storefronts on the ground floor with apartments upstairs, it's about how the building interacts with the street, I'd say especially at the pedestrian level. A high traffic building like the post office would bring lots of activity, whenever I'm near the Guthrie I see tons of activity in all directions.

And I don't know enough about the HCMC campus to say if it's good or bad urbanism, but even if it's bad, I'd say the social good of a hospital outweighs not having enough doors. I'm not sure if a parking ramp merits that same leniency.
Well said.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 24th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I beams are already being put in

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 24th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Not sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to pilings? Surely this will be a concrete structure, no?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 24th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I mean pillings. They're I shaped beams going into the ground in an upright fashion

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 24th, 2014, 6:44 pm

I'm pretty sure I mean pillings. They're I shaped beams going into the ground in an upright fashion
H Pile. You're looking at them from the wrong direction.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 24th, 2014, 6:51 pm

If you don't mind can you please verify with more certainty. Thank you, in advance.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 24th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Okay but they're I shaped beams in the ground. I was taught that they were just called that. I'm sorry that I don't have more construction experience to tell you exactly what they are but you figured it out right away so who cares? I let you know what was going on at the site so you're welcome. Sheesh.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 25th, 2014, 12:11 am

What HuskyGrad said. They're the piles that hold back dirt during excavation. Big wooden planks slide into the channels on either side to form a retaining wall.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby HuskyGrad » October 25th, 2014, 11:42 am

Okay but they're I shaped beams in the ground. I was taught that they were just called that. I'm sorry that I don't have more construction experience to tell you exactly what they are but you figured it out right away so who cares? I let you know what was going on at the site so you're welcome. Sheesh.
My apologies, it was a joke. The letter H looks like an I from a different direction. But yes the term is H Pile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 25th, 2014, 11:50 am

My apologies, it was a joke. The letter H looks like an I from a different direction. But yes the term is H Pile.

I knew you were joking :lol: but it was hard to tell what lancestar meant. I've seen enough construction time lapse's to know how it goes. It's the same process they were doing with 4marq

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » October 25th, 2014, 11:57 am

Here's a good animation of constructing a soldier pile and lagging wall. http://youtu.be/Ugv-srxGajc

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 27th, 2014, 7:20 am

What HuskyGrad said. They're the piles that hold back dirt during excavation. Big wooden planks slide into the channels on either side to form a retaining wall.
This is called "beam and lagging" because there is an apparent need to identify these construction elements exactly or something.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » December 16th, 2014, 8:18 am

Looks like a crain is up in this spot. Are they just building the parking portion?

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 16th, 2014, 8:45 am

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 16th, 2014, 8:57 am

It's just regional dialect. More important than perfect textbook English.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 16th, 2014, 9:37 am

Looks like a 2nd one is going up too...geez, that is 12 in just this little area...and I don't think any will be coming down for a while.