Permit Parking

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Re: Permit Parking

Postby billhelm » August 4th, 2014, 8:43 am

The friendlies at the meeting said that the root cause is territorialism and that car2gos are seen as an affront to their way of life. Sea Salt employees driving Car2Gos to their street and destroying their freedom to not see Car2Gos. My point was to annoy the ones who are already pissed off. And the friendlies say the whiners probably have their 75%.
Thing is, even if permit parking is implemented, Car2Gos will still be able to park there. If anything, I'd consider taking one over there even more with permit parking enabled.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 4th, 2014, 8:59 am

The friendlies at the meeting said that the root cause is territorialism and that car2gos are seen as an affront to their way of life. Sea Salt employees driving Car2Gos to their street and destroying their freedom to not see Car2Gos. My point was to annoy the ones who are already pissed off. And the friendlies say the whiners probably have their 75%.
Thing is, even if permit parking is implemented, Car2Gos will still be able to park there. If anything, I'd consider taking one over there even more with permit parking enabled.
I've always wondered how that works with car2go and have never looked into it. Can they just park at any meter or permit parking spot in the city and not have to worry about getting towed?

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 4th, 2014, 9:02 am

I'm pretty sure Car2Go is not allowed in permit parking areas. I know I don't park them in the critical parking areas around 38th and 46th light rail stains.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » August 4th, 2014, 9:04 am

I'm pretty sure Car2Go is not allowed in permit parking areas. I know I don't park them in the critical parking areas around 38th and 46th light rail stains.
Bottom of page 4 here suggests otherwise. https://www.car2go.com/common/data/loca ... ng_FAQ.pdf

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 4th, 2014, 9:10 am

Ah. Good to know! Car share is definitely a better use for high demand parking than commuters or residents vehicles.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » August 4th, 2014, 9:16 am

Ah. Good to know! Car share is definitely a better use for high demand parking than commuters or residents vehicles.
Yeah, I don't know how well known that rule is, but their faq explains everything very nicely. I didn't know until I was frustrated one day by the lack of non-permitted parking around Children's Hospital when I was driving a Car2Go over there and looked it up.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 4th, 2014, 9:19 am

Did they ever resolve if you can park Car2Go at Park Board or U of M on-street meters?

You're probably asking yourself "Why the hell does the Park Board have on-street meters?" But indeed they do, on Main Street and other locations. The Park Board having jurisdiction over their pay lots makes sense. On-street meters that run independent of the city's meters...not so much. While I respect the benefits that an independent park board supposedly brings (more so I respect that the city just held a vote on the issue not that long ago), the City of Minneapolis should really take over the parking meters and the police department. I know RT supported eliminating the separate Park PD.

Crazytown:
On street parking meters are located on Minnehaha Parkway, Minnehaha Avenue, East River Road, West River Road, Dean Parkway and Main Street. On street meters are enforced 365 days a year. Prices range from 75 cents to $1.50 per hour.

Most on street parking meters accept coins only, but Main Street on street parking meters accept coins and credit/debit cards.
Anyone can park at any on street meter.
Annual Patron Parking Permit Holders must pay for on street parking.
Please read the information posted on the parking meters carefully as some street meters have a time limit.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 4th, 2014, 9:21 am

You can't. It'll tell you to move to another area if you try to park at Park Board or UMN meters.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 4th, 2014, 9:25 am

There was a Car2Go ticketed minnehaha drive in minnehaha falls park over the weekend. Should have walked over there and moved it to the neighborhood north of the park.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 4th, 2014, 10:27 am

So Hennepin County is reconstructing Minnehaha Ave down to 46th over 2015-16. The city will concurrently reconstruct Minnehaha south of 46th, as well as Nawahada Blvd (the DQ and Bridgeman's street). It seems like the city is missing an opportunity to add metered parking to Nawahada here. It currently looks to have no parking allowed whatsoever. I suppose the city could also add meters to the last 200 feet or so of Minnehaha Ave, in front of the DQ, the auto repair shop across the street, and the last couple houses. Nawahada just seems like an easier / more obvious answer. I'm looking at this in terms of collecting revenue from existing our existing assets. Obviously, some cheapskates will continue to park in the neighborhoods north of the falls, not really "solving" the problem of these cranky neighbors, but it will add more total parking and revenue to the city.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 114838.pdf

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 4th, 2014, 11:05 am

If you click the link you'll see that just north of Nawadha Ave there is a huge amount of unused land under a power pylon. Few opportunities for commercial or residential development there, so it would be totally possible to use the space as a parking lot for the park if there was a will to do so.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 4th, 2014, 1:09 pm

I'd only be in favor of that if it allows us to remove at least one of the lots further into Minnehaha Park.

Anondson
IDS Center

Permit Parking

Postby Anondson » October 18th, 2014, 9:14 pm

3100 Girard generating thousands of parking tickets. 7 of 10 top spots for parking tickets are this one block. [sorry for mobile link]

http://m.startribune.com/local/minneapo ... ?section=/

Plus the awesome excerpt. "...Max Musicant, a 30-year-old motorist..."

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 18th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I have mixed feelings. I lived on this block for a eighteen months. I can say that it is probably a boon to those who live there. But market pricing should be implemented, permit parking is not the answer.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » October 19th, 2014, 9:59 pm

So much crazy from that middle school teacher. Permit parking could stop more murders happening on our street. And "meter maids"?! This is not Surfers Paradise (http://metermaids.com/history)

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » October 20th, 2014, 7:36 am

I was one of the 8,100 parking tickets on that block last year :lol:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 20th, 2014, 7:57 am

Same here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 20th, 2014, 7:58 am

I looked closely at the signs. I always park in either the mall or on the southern part of Hennepin

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » October 20th, 2014, 9:44 am

I don't know who annoys me more in this thing. The entitled NIMBYs who think they have a god given right to park directly in front of their house/apt or the entitled visitors from EP (basically Minneapolis's bridge and tunnel crowd) demanding free, abundant parking everywhere.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » October 20th, 2014, 1:27 pm

I don't know who annoys me more in this thing. The entitled NIMBYs who think they have a god given right to park directly in front of their house/apt or the entitled visitors from EP (basically Minneapolis's bridge and tunnel crowd) demanding free, abundant parking everywhere.
First off, that's not what a NIMBY is! Look it up. Second, why shouldn't residents be able to park on their own block, when there is plenty of district parking? Is that so unreasonable? It's one of the densest areas in the city to begin with, and residents pay annually for permits and guest permits. Why should outsiders get free parking there at the expense of locals? Why shouldn't residents be allowed to manage their limited parking availability?

Third, that's a really snotty, reductive characterization of apparently ANYONE who drives to and parks around Uptown. Sheesh.
Last edited by aeisenberg on October 20th, 2014, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com