[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby twincitizen » September 26th, 2014, 9:28 am

I had that initial thought as well, but for $1.5MM? Green Mill already has quite a bit of parking.

In my mind, the ideal scenario would be buying up Roat Osha as well and developing something on a larger scale. Mid-block, hemmed in by single story buildings and surface parking doesn't seem like a great place to develop.

Then again, this guy is a restaurateur and not a developer. How much does he really want to compete with himself for customers? Not that Green Mill and his crudo concept at the Walkway are competing for the same people, but something right next door to Green Mill seems like an odd choice...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 9:28 am

are they allowed to add more parking though?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2014, 9:32 am

He's been using the First Tech parking for a long time, right? It may be that he just wants to maintain the status quo. He rents out the buildings to a retail user who doesn't really need all of that parking (especially in the evening when Green Mill is busiest), so he gets some income off the property, and he controls the site to prevent somebody else form putting in something he deems incompatible. Is that worth $1.5m? Maybe?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 26th, 2014, 10:24 am

French Meadow purchased the CC just for it's parking. I'd say it's likely.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 3:28 pm

but they didn't add parking. they originally wanted to add parking across the street but have a garden there now. I was just wondering if there was a new parking ban or anything in this neighborhood if he wanted to tear everything down.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 26th, 2014, 3:40 pm

but they didn't add parking. they originally wanted to add parking across the street but have a garden there now. I was just wondering if there was a new parking ban or anything in this neighborhood if he wanted to tear everything down.
Doubt the neighborhood would let them tear down to create parking. Have heard nothing about parking restriction in the neighborhood. Maybe there was talk of someone else putting a restaurant in and he bought it to control competition and preserve some of the over flow parking that he had with First Tech. I can see him having shared parking with a retailer who would not need that large of number of spaces and use them when they are closed in the evening.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 26th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Looks like the Floor Expo at 28th and Hennepin is getting a exterior facelift. They were taking down some old trim in the Hennepin side and putting up scaffolding on the 28th street side. Hope they do not turn it into a mundane box.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 26th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Looks like the Floor Expo at 28th and Hennepin is getting a exterior facelift. They were taking down some old trim in the Hennepin side and putting up scaffolding on the 28th street side. Hope they do not turn it into a mundane box.
It already is! Honestly, I have no idea how this place plans to survive. Seems a total waste for a pretty good location.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 26th, 2014, 9:34 pm

A parking facility is a conditional use in the c2 district. I think he'd have a hard time getting it approved but technically code would allow him to tear down the structure and replace it with a lot as long as he gets a CUP. More likely is mndible's scenario I think.

Edit: duh this is regarding green mill dude's purchase of the firstech properties
"Who rescued whom!"

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » September 29th, 2014, 1:37 pm

FirstTech site bought by Green Mill CEO.

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/mor ... 313&r=full
It was probably a defensive move. Red Cow was rumored to be trying to get that building. Red Cow would slaughter the Green Mill in head to head competition.

Before the recession the French Meadow bought Rex Hardware for a similar reason - Great Ciao was looking to put a deli into that spot and they didn't want the competition so they bought the building themselves.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 29th, 2014, 1:46 pm

hope they do something with the property unlike their purchase of the superamerica site on lyndale which they've allowed to turn into and even bigger eyesore.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2014, 1:51 pm

hope they do something with the property unlike their purchase of the superamerica site on lyndale which they've allowed to turn into and even bigger eyesore.
According to others on here, that eye soar is supposed to be under construction. I've not been down that way since before they were to have started gutting the place. Will have to see how fast they progress with the construction. I don't see them opening before next spring anyway.

Now that they relaxed that 60/40 in neighborhood I think one of their issues is mute by that passing. They may still have parking issues, but I'm sure they will find a way around that too.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on September 29th, 2014, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » September 29th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Even if they don't put something into that building themselves, I'm sure it is a much easier spot to rent out than the SA on Lyndale. I doubt it will sit empty. Ownership gives them the power to decide who their neighbor is, which is a great thing for a business if you can afford it.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 1st, 2014, 3:20 pm

Arc'teryx opens this month

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Arc'teryx opens this month
Just in time for the Christmas, snow boarding, and ski seasons.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby seanrichardryan » October 15th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Apparently cowboys will have the run of the building. All tenants are out:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news/biz-buz ... -northeast
Evaded taxes- shady

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 20352.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

Walked by the Floor Expo building yesterday and they are putting up some metal supports for some odd looking exterior. Not sure what they have planned, but it looks strange to me.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 21st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Scena on lake, the planned restaurant for the corner of the walkway facing lake, is getting their liquor license today! That means this must be moving on pretty well.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 22nd, 2014, 8:20 am

Scena on lake, the planned restaurant for the corner of the walkway facing lake, is getting their liquor license today! That means this must be moving on pretty well.
Good to hear that there is finally someone going into that space. That is more important that the corner of Lagoon with it being the major street corner that sits unused.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 22nd, 2014, 8:38 am

Has anyone seen the plans for the Cowboy bar (Jacks? Wild Bills? Whatever is going there) for the Social House space? Is it going to be a multi-level club? Looks like they are doing a complete makeover of the entire building.