Southdale Area - Edina

Twin Cities Suburbs
sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby sdho » September 18th, 2014, 9:02 am

Interesting to see how many of those homes didn't have garages in 1960.
Quite a few of the Bloomington ones were ramblers with attached garages. But you're right, at least 1/3 of the ones south of 100 (now 494) and probably half north of 100 don't have garages.

Also note the dead-end front walks on the Richfield side, many of which persist today: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8687165 ... fQkfcQ!2e0. Like they're still waiting for a sidewalk to be installed, 65 years later...

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 23rd, 2014, 1:41 pm

In Today's Sun Current
‘Citizens’ sue Edina over 66 West
http://current.mnsun.com/2014/10/citize ... r-66-west/

A group of undisclosed members referring to themselves as “citizens” is suing the city of Edina over the city’s approval of the 66 West project to house formerly homeless young adults from the western suburbs.

“Citizens to Preserve the Edina Regional Medical District” filed a lawsuit Oct. 8, alleging the Edina City Council violated city code and state statute by approving in September the preliminary rezoning and a Comprehensive Plan amendment for 66 West prior to Metropolitan Council approval. It alleges 66 West will cause businesses in the Regional Medical District to “suffer irreparable harm.”

[...]

The group also notes that it shared with the city concerns over the safety of children attending the Step-By-Step Montessori School, located on a neighboring property also guided for the Regional Medical District in the Comprehensive Plan.

“They again explained that criminal activity and children are not compatible, especially when they exist within 100 yards,” the complaint states. Additionally, “it was explained that safety is an issue for the female employees of the school who work from early morning to late in the evening,” according to the complaint. The lawsuit alleges that members of the Citizens to Preserve the Edina Regional Medical District will lose the “full and safe use” of their properties if the 66 West project moves forward.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 23rd, 2014, 1:51 pm

I like the not at all subtle suggestion that all homeless people are criminals.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » October 24th, 2014, 11:55 am

Every day I need attention. :roll:

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 24th, 2014, 2:13 pm

What's the point in keeping a lawyer on retainer if you never sue anybody?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Dave & Busters moving forward on the 3rd floor of Southdale: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... enter.html

Staff report & (sort of) floor plans: http://edinamn.gov/edinafiles/files/Cit ... 0PCD-3.pdf

It's still not clear how they will handle late-night entrance/exit. The mall closes at 9 and D&B stays open til 2am. Presumably they would channel all late-night access through a single mall entrance nearest to an elevator with direct access to the 3rd floor. I wonder if they'll add significant exterior signage to let people know they're in there...

Ugh, why do I even care...I've been spending too much time at Southdale with the gf. That said, we'll definitely be going here. I love me some arcade games and drinking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 6th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Wow, Southdale needed something like that to soak up 3rd Floor space. Good for them.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 6th, 2014, 4:16 pm

About half of the upstairs filled in with this... I was curious how they'd allow access after mall hours closed, as well as security. Kinda wished the entire upstairs was used up...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 28th, 2014, 7:34 pm

The three towers by Southdale turned out ok. Kind of strange geometric wood like siding as accents. But much better than most suburban apartment buildings.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 1st, 2014, 10:22 pm

66 West got a write up in The Atlantic's Citylab.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/12/ ... ng/383290/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 18th, 2015, 7:16 pm

66 West lawsuit dismissed on Feb 12th.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/02/judge- ... the-edina/

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » February 19th, 2015, 10:32 am

^ Great news. Glad this project can move forward.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 20th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Update to the Southdale Library site's government services: Lease space in Southdale near the east entrance (nearest the transit station) for 15 years. Will lease space equal to the amount of space in the current facility. Courts will be sent to a remodeled Bloomington Civic Plaza. Construct a new library on the current library site at the corner of York and 70th, and redevelop the rest of the site. Richfield worries its SFHs will be smothered by shadows and want consideration for that.

http://current.mnsun.com/2015/03/county ... al-center/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 21st, 2015, 3:43 pm

^That's pretty interesting stuff. Clearly there are a lot of moving parts, but hopefully most of that can happen.

What's with Hennepin County's rigid adherence to single-use structures for libraries though? Surely the new Uptown library could've had at least a floor or two of affordable/subsidized apartments atop it. If they're going to sell off the parcel to a developer anyways, why not at least try to work together on parking (or go extreme and have the developer build the library into the building)? It sounds like the new library will be built at the corner of 70th and York before the rest of the parcel can be sold off. That seems at least a little shortsighted. Has no one at Hennepin County Libraries seen St. Paul's Rondo Library at University & Dale?

In more mundane Southdale news, Gordmans will be taking over the former Marshalls space in the mall's basement. A slight upgrade there, but more or less the same thing. I'm guessing Marshalls lease was up and they opted to move to the 494/France strip mall (fka Circuit City Plaza, now home to Total Wine, Total Hockey, Trader Joes, World Market and Staples)

Anondson
IDS Center

Southdale Area Development - Edina

Postby Anondson » March 21st, 2015, 4:54 pm

Where'd you hear the Gordmans news?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 21st, 2015, 5:30 pm

Swear I saw a sign in the mall itself. Not sure if it was added to the kiosk maps as "Coming Soon" like Dave & Busters has been, but I definitely saw it somewhere.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 26th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Opening of Total Wine superstore costs Edina $765K in liquor revenue

(http://bringmethenews.com/2015/03/26/op ... r-revenue/)

I can see why this was so hotly contested and took forever to be approved and open. Reading the article... Edina saw a 4% drop in revenue, equal to $765k. That means the revenue for 3 Edina municipally-owned liquor stores is about $19.2 million. WOW that seems high! It even says that drop is for "this year" ... could that be interpreted as in for the 3 months of Jan-March. So the annual revenue is close to $75-80 million!?!?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 26th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Edina's muni liquor store makes money like nothing else. No other city store does as well I've heard.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 3rd, 2015, 7:37 pm

I think from a business point the Marshall move was probably a very good one for them. THe old Mall space was probably close to going on 20+ years. The 494 location would allow then a new space with a good traffic flow of cars visiting the mall for the other stores that are there.
This will allow Gordmans a more prominent location in the cities that can help them with maybe some future expansion in some of the other smaller malls surrounding the Twin Cities. I've been in the Gordmans in Mankato. Remains me of a more upscale Marshalls.

Also I think it will be a big win for Southdale as having that space vacant is a prominent eyesore when walking out of Macy's and down the mall itself. Face it, Simon can make less off this space, and make up for it with a other mall spaces when it is perceived to a less vacancies. Your not going to find a big market for that basement space out there among retailers. this will at least give them cash flow to cover that space as far as heating and cooling goes, instead of a money sucking expense.

Is Buster and Dave's now under construction there on the 3rd floor?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 3rd, 2015, 9:00 pm

Dave and Buster's is well underway. A new stairs was just put in inside from second floor (the top level of the parking ramp) to the Dave and Buster's entrance on third.