U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby nfschauer » October 15th, 2015, 9:33 am

Someone may have already brought this up, but if you look on the webcam at the stadium view, does anyone else notice that the different sections of the roof are different tints? So if you look at the US Bank sign on the roof, the portion of the roof under "US Ba" is darker than the portion of the roof under "nk Stad", then the "ium" is back to a darker tint. Sounds confusing, but if you look, it's very obvious.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 18th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Liking the mysterious energy crystals in the back, hope we get some more.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 18th, 2015, 7:02 pm

There are more! I'll get around to taking some better pictures once I get the charger for my good cameras battery. Also considering getting a lens than zooms much much further. I'd be able to take a detailed pictures of certain parts of buildings then :twisted:

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » October 18th, 2015, 9:08 pm

From the U.S. Bank Stadium Update - October 7, 2015 (http://www.usbankstadium.com/u-s-bank-s ... er-7-2015/), its called a "monument sign". As stated:
The first large, 30 foot high “monument sign,” which will be used as directional signage was installed. There will be six 30 feet high signs and seven 12 feet high pedestrian directional signs on the stadium site.
Also, in the 3rd of Grant Simoms' pictures above, is that stadium construction close to the road or is it actual road construction realigning the road to the new stadium boundary?

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » October 19th, 2015, 9:48 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think this thing turned out just looking kinda evil. Like one of those videos where Star Destroyers are superimposed touching down in Los Angeles and Stormtroopers are invading. Sorta makes me shudder.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 19th, 2015, 11:56 am

From the U.S. Bank Stadium Update - October 7, 2015 (http://www.usbankstadium.com/u-s-bank-s ... er-7-2015/), its called a "monument sign". As stated:
The first large, 30 foot high “monument sign,” which will be used as directional signage was installed. There will be six 30 feet high signs and seven 12 feet high pedestrian directional signs on the stadium site.
Also, in the 3rd of Grant Simoms' pictures above, is that stadium construction close to the road or is it actual road construction realigning the road to the new stadium boundary?
As far as I know, 5th St is being turned into a 2-way bike/ped trail that will go around the stadium. It will also cross over the light rail tracks and run between the tracks and the Commons until at least 5th Ave (though I'd guess all the way to Govt Center).

I also remember them saying that 6th St would have a contraflow lane for cars to handle traffic from 94 until the exit is realigned to 7th St. Anyone know if that's still gonna happen?

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » October 19th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Yes, I understood that to be the plan. As it relates to the pictures Grant posted above, however, I was just wondering if the construction along the street in Grant's 3rd picture reflected stadium construction (by Mortensen) or street construction by the City of Minneapolis (starting to make the changes/improvements you noted in your commet).

Also, on you question "I also remember them saying that 6th St would have a contraflow lane for cars to handle traffic from 94 until the exit is realigned to 7th St. Anyone know if that's still gonna happen?" - they are well along in the construction of the new 7th Street overpass for the new I-94 exit.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 19th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Yes, I understood that to be the plan. As it relates to the pictures Grant posted above, however, I was just wondering if the construction along the street in Grant's 3rd picture reflected stadium construction (by Mortensen) or street construction by the City of Minneapolis (starting to make the changes/improvements you noted in your commet).

Also, on you question "I also remember them saying that 6th St would have a contraflow lane for cars to handle traffic from 94 until the exit is realigned to 7th St. Anyone know if that's still gonna happen?" - they are well along in the construction of the new 7th Street overpass for the new I-94 exit.
Sorry, misunderstood you!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: USBank Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA blo

Postby Nathan » October 23rd, 2015, 9:31 am

Mortenson crushing minority workforce goals.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/10/23 ... ity-hiring

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » October 29th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Something exciting on the webcam! The Northside stadium logo just lit up!
Buildings, what buildings?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 3rd, 2015, 1:08 pm

Walking by on 6th street yesterday I saw what appears to be some light structure to light up the stadium from the outside at night. Looks like it is zinc covered and a bit abstract as well. It is on the stadium side of 6th between 11th and 10th. Zinc coverage of the stadium seems to be at a stand still. 3 sides of the west end have not been started yet. We are in November now!

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » November 4th, 2015, 11:30 am

If you look at the "Interior" view of the Vikings webcam (http://www.vikings.com/stadium/new-stadium/webcam.html), you will see that the construction elevator is coming down at the west end of the stadium. It was supported by the last green support truss. As I think the only reason the support truss remained this long was to support the elevator, I think it will be coming down soon as well.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » November 4th, 2015, 6:45 pm

As matter of fact, the last green support truss is coming down right now.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » November 19th, 2015, 8:15 am

I can't believe no one has commented on the ship yet!!

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium ... 0903#start

This thing is ridiculous! My kids are gonna love this thing...lol

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 19th, 2015, 8:42 am

I can't believe no one has commented on the ship yet!!

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium ... 0903#start

This thing is ridiculous! My kids are gonna love this thing...lol
The article mentions that it's a "surprise", yet we discussed it on here months ago...
Anyhow, I think it's a unique and fun feature. I still wish the stadium and surrounding plaza(s) would connect to the LRT platform block better. But, I'll wait for all things to be finished before making a final judgement.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » November 19th, 2015, 10:20 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think this thing turned out just looking kinda evil. Like one of those videos where Star Destroyers are superimposed touching down in Los Angeles and Stormtroopers are invading. Sorta makes me shudder.
This is what I wrote on this thread back in October of 2013:

"Do y'all remember that ribbony rendering that was tossed around for ages before the final versions were passed down? I liked the grace and beauty of that one and found it relatively soft on the neighborhood. When I saw what's really going to be built, I believe my gut reaction was "an exercise in megalomania", by which I meant that a bunch of grown up little boys just couldn't resist the temptation to shout, "Hey! Look at how important and powerful I am!" I gotta say that time hasn't made the design wear easier on me. Sure, it could be uglier, but it's just too damn overwhelming."

I gotta say that time still hasn't changed my mind, and the 160-foot Viking ship isn't helping!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I'm putting in $20 for the tear it down after the Superbowl fund. Thing is tacky as Time Square.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 19th, 2015, 2:05 pm

I actually like the idea of something quirky and Minnesotan like this. It's a unique use of a corner that really doesn't face the direction that most of the fans will arrive though... I would make sense to have the screen face Medtronic Plaza and the LRT platform. Sort of like the Target Field video screen.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 19th, 2015, 2:07 pm

I think the idea of the viking ship is fun -- but so far, the execution of the idea looks a little Vegas-cheap for my taste.