Downtown Retail & Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Tyler » October 24th, 2022, 8:26 am

Longer sentences for toothpaste crimes!
Longer sentences for toothpaste crimes!
Longer sentences for toothpaste crimes!!!

You are literally a disgusting human being. Full stop.
Towns!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 24th, 2022, 1:41 pm

I would imagine the problem is organized retail theft and reselling as opposed to a homeless guy wanting to brush his teeth. When millions of dollars of theft are occuring nationally, it's not surprising that corporations start locking things down.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » October 25th, 2022, 8:31 am

yall are arguing like there's not tons of overlapping analysis and solutions between your perspectives. maybe stealing should have guaranteed consequences that don't involve overly harsh prison time, address theft rings and get help for the people who are stealing out of need. That can be independent of the analysis our current legal system that locks people up for the wrong stuff, while people get away some serious stuff at times. acting like every single policy is an all or nothing proposal is asinine.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » October 25th, 2022, 10:48 am

yall are arguing like there's not tons of overlapping analysis and solutions between your perspectives. maybe stealing should have guaranteed consequences that don't involve overly harsh prison time, address theft rings and get help for the people who are stealing out of need. That can be independent of the analysis our current legal system that locks people up for the wrong stuff, while people get away some serious stuff at times. acting like every single policy is an all or nothing proposal is asinine.
You mean there's nuance and context? C'mon man, it's the internet in 2022! Why waste time with all that when you can score all your prog cred points at once simply by characterizing someone as 'literally a disgusting human being' over a couple comments they made on a public forum?

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » October 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm

That can be independent of the analysis our current legal system that locks people up for the wrong stuff...
I don't think it can be. Situations like this are about how our current legal system operates in practice. Any solution we propose absolutely MUST be dependent on our analysis that our current legal system locks up way too many people and often for the wrong stuff.
You mean there's nuance and context?
And hey, I totally get the appeal of taking the middle ground of nuance and complexity, it is usually the right path, and in this case I agree that it probably IS the right path re: Target locking up merchandise (for example: what is Target's responsibility to the community vs their loss prevention desires?, should people boycott?, do people avoid hostile places subconsciously?, how does Target balance creating hostility vs balancing their bottom line? etc...).

But when the argument is "we should raise the consequences for Toothpaste-Theft level crimes in what is already the world's largest prison state" vs. "we need solutions that deal with what drives people to steal basic hygiene products" this middle ground stuff is just nonsense. Like, the anti-carceral position IS the nuanced and complex position. You've got one side asking for "more cops! more jail time! more prisoners!" as a solution for everything from homelessness to traffic violations to even stealing fucking toothpaste while the other side IS looking at the complexity and nuance of what drives crime and what deters crime and how much are we spending for cops and prisons and what are we getting for that money and how we could spend that money more wisely.
I would imagine the problem is organized retail theft and reselling as opposed to a homeless guy wanting to brush his teeth.
Please help me out with the toothpaste theft crime ring stuff. How does that game work? Does organized crime steal hygiene products and sell them to small retailers? I've definitely seen stuff marked for national chains on the shelves at corner stores, but I have a hard time thinking that the source of this stuff is organized crime taking it off of Target's shelves one piece at a time vs. stealing boxes or even pallets of the stuff at other points on the supply chain. But isn't the simplest answer that it is probably the 40 million people living in poverty in the US taking hygiene products they can't afford instead of some elaborate organized crime conspiracy?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 25th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Most people in poverty, like everyone else, pay for what they need. Reactions like locked goods and employment of entire loss prevention teams is a clear indicator that the issue is larger than a few tubes of toothpaste going missing every day.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » October 25th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Most people in poverty, like everyone else, pay for what they need
You're absolutely right. I certainly don't want to contribute to the idea that poor people are criminals, there is enough of that already.

I guess what I find frustrating is that I see plenty news outlets write about "theft-rings" selling consumables online, but I don't have a clear idea of how big the problem is, how big it is compared to other types of shoplifting, how the practice has changed over time (I mean, loss prevention teams and locked goods are centuries old practices) or anything like that. This isn't to say that such information doesn't exist, just that it isn't in the news the same way shoplifting is. Then people who have been fed this narrative of Crime! Fear! and Lawlessness! jump on forums like this and argue to raise police budgets and elect "tough on crime" politicians who continue to expand the world's largest police and prison system with detrimental effects on huge swaths of the US population while leaving the underlying problems unsolved.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 25th, 2022, 9:07 pm

Imprisoning every Colgate thief might not be the answer, but there’s something going on right now that’s eroded parts of our society, especially in big cities.

Certain Democrats are so eager to point out statistics that crime rates really aren’t that different, but all the homeless encampments, reports of aggressive cell phone theft rings and locked up toothpaste at Target tell a much more compelling story.

It’s pretty apparent that Republicans have no real solutions to any of these problems. Unfortunately it’s becoming increasingly evident that Democrats don’t really have solutions either.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » October 26th, 2022, 6:52 am

Certain Democrats are so eager to point out statistics that crime rates really aren’t that different, but all the homeless encampments, reports of aggressive cell phone theft rings and locked up toothpaste at Target tell a much more compelling story.
I think this is it exactly! The numbers show that crime rates aren't soaring, but people consistently believe it is. Why? Don't you think it has to do with the people who have a vested interest in keeping people afraid of crimes? Police unions want people afraid of crimes so their budget goes up. Newspapers and TV news want to sell you sensationalized stories. Reactionary politicians want you to be afraid of crime so they can either accuse their opponents of being soft or show off how they've raised police budgets to fix the problem (And it's not just Republicans, **cough** Jacob Frey **cough**.)

And we as the general public are really susceptible to this fear mongering. A pollster (I think Gallup?) asks Americans every year if crime has gone up or down over the last 12 months and since 1990 more people have said it has gone down only once. The reality is that crime went down in like 23 of those 30 years. It turns out that Americans are terrible at estimating changes in the crime rate.

And that's the problem with relying on compelling anecdotes (like seeing homeless encampments, seeing TV reports of theft-rings, and seeing locked up toothpaste) instead of relying on facts. We are being sold fear and being sold cops and being sold jails as a solution to that fear and we keep falling for it and the result is the world's largest prison population and a general population constantly terrified of a rising crime narrative that is largely manufactured and is never resolved.
It’s pretty apparent that Republicans have no real solutions to any of these problems. Unfortunately it’s becoming increasingly evident that Democrats don’t really have solutions either.
I agree with this completely! Democrats give lip service to non-carceral solutions to crime, but as soon as someone accuses them of not supporting the police or being soft on crime they bend over backwards to hire more cops, raise police budgets, and throw more folks in jail. Notable exceptions to Democrats being worthless are, I think, Keith Ellison (who seems to understand that public safety is about more than crime and violence) and Mary Moriarty (who has definitely been willing to challenge the way things are done in our criminal justice system and isn't afraid to look for new, more effective solutions)

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 26th, 2022, 8:17 am

Homelessness is a separate issue from crime and it's extremely counter-productive to lump them together as a single item.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » October 26th, 2022, 8:37 am

Homelessness is a separate issue from crime and it's extremely counter-productive to lump them together as a single item.
You are 100% right. I shouldn't have repeated that. It is harmful and I should know better. Thank you for pointing it out.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 26th, 2022, 11:29 am

Propaganda works, man.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 14th, 2022, 1:51 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... polis.html

Well this is a big loss for Downtown Minneapolis, definitely had the brands I liked for good prices!

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » November 14th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Very disappointing news. The place usually seemed to have solid foot traffic. Was there a reason given outside of the usually corporate platitudes?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 14th, 2022, 2:16 pm

Time for a Uniqlo.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 14th, 2022, 2:42 pm

Bet they would have gotten more foot traffic if they had every bothered to unlock the doors to Nicollet after unboarding the windows.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 14th, 2022, 4:08 pm

Good riddance to anyone who wants to leave Nicollet. Now break this up into 5 different spaces and let the magic happen.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 14th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Does it feel at all weird to still be saying stuff like that at this point in the game, or not really?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 15th, 2022, 12:51 am

Yeah, good riddance...because we know how fast these spaces fill up. Retailers are just chompin' at the bit to move in! And let's boycott Target for closing early until they close all together...I am sure Marshall's will close on their own somewhere in there (they are still open, right?)...and then we won't have to worry about any pesky occupied storefronts on Nic at all! Sorry for the painfully sarcastic reply. I just wish the core would find it's stride already...it remains super disappointing. Of course the last few years have been rough. But it seems like for decades we just keep saying...now finally the core can be the right mix of....(vacant store fronts). But I guess it is to be expected, as the office market will probably never really be the same. Still...a lot of other cores of cities that are "less healthy" by a lot of measures that are less disappointing.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 15th, 2022, 9:57 am

IMO this is the exactly the kind of business you'd expect to bail. So IDK "good riddence" but something close to that. DT needs to evolve obviously, not cling to the past that's never returning.
Towns!