North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
trigonalmayhem

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby trigonalmayhem » November 30th, 2015, 10:28 pm

There's probably a middle ground there somewhere. Or at least make them write some guidelines to speed up the process.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » December 4th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Those are just manufacturer's cut sheets of the various windows that are proposed for the project. Freely available on the web. It is not like someone at the architect's office sat down and drew all those details.

The bigger question, yes, I am alright that the HPC requires that kind of documentation. Crappy windows can easily ruin an otherwise good renovation. Good windows are expensive and would be prone to value engineering. This level of documentation holds developers accountable.
But the did have someone inventory, in obsessive detail, the condition of every part of every window in the place. That takes hours-both inventorying the windows pieces and preparing the reports. Especially when you end up with 50 some pages.

I'm not against historic preservation, in fact I think it's a good thing in many cases, but my biggest complaints about the HPC is it's fox watching the hen house situation. Of course the historic preservationist who sit on the HPC are going to want to save as much as possible in amber, even if the structure has outlived it's useful life and next to impossible to repurpose, see the grain elevator by the U. They are able to sit on the sideline micromanage other people buildings, requiring they spend money and never have to spend any of their own money.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 4th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Did we learn anything from the city meeting on Dec 1 that was supposed to give us some idea of what the city and HPC will want changed to make the Sex World buildings office/restaurant again.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 4th, 2015, 1:26 pm

But the did have someone inventory, in obsessive detail, the condition of every part of every window in the place. That takes hours-both inventorying the windows pieces and preparing the reports. Especially when you end up with 50 some pages.

I'm not against historic preservation, in fact I think it's a good thing in many cases, but my biggest complaints about the HPC is it's fox watching the hen house situation. Of course the historic preservationist who sit on the HPC are going to want to save as much as possible in amber, even if the structure has outlived it's useful life and next to impossible to repurpose, see the grain elevator by the U. They are able to sit on the sideline micromanage other people buildings, requiring they spend money and never have to spend any of their own money.
I think everyone would be happy to hear a good alternative, but TBH I'd much rather have the HPC lean on the side of preserving too much than not enough. There's no going back from demolition.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » December 14th, 2015, 3:55 pm

I think I found some plans for the old Gardner Hardware building.

http://themaytagbuilding.com/ The site has some renderings and drawings with renovation ideas.

A preliminary plan review permit was pulled on 12/2 by AWH Architects (per the City of Minneapolis site).

It'll be nice when this building gets back in use.

The website is copyrighted Saturday Properties, which sounded familiar - they were one of the three proposals for the Guthrie liner parcel at 800 Washington Ave S. He's a former Greco owner.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 14th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Nice find! I hope they don't get take much room for a dining space that can only be used 5-6 months out of the year. I'd be much happier leaving the space open for development. Realistically, Cuzzy's space could be bought by a company or developer any month or day now. Without the large dining space, we could see a better development on the corner. It'd be cool to see them do what Bachelor Farmer just did with their alley. Small but cute.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 14th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Would be nice to have some more office space in the NL. I think that works better than apartment right now.

Electricianguy
Block E

Postby Electricianguy » December 14th, 2015, 10:26 pm

The Pacifier is moving to the North Loop.
http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Alishops/Decemb ... orth-Loop/

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 15th, 2015, 8:20 am

Interesting. Not much other baby stuff in the North Loop. It's good news, cause it's a good store, and an extra play-place will be nice, but also a bummer for NE that they are losing it.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 15th, 2015, 9:46 am

Would be nice to have some more office space in the NL. I think that works better than apartment right now.
I agree, especially on Washington. I work in the SoHo building and I definitely feel like I'm in a residential area sometimes, and a little cut off from the rest of downtown. Also the area could use more services like a CVS/Walgreens, some other bank branches, and a couple more fast/cheapish/to-go lunch places. I go to Be'Wiched and C. McGee's all the time, and while I like them both, it gets old. I also think places like Spyhouse would do better with more non-residential traffic.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 15th, 2015, 9:49 am

I'd be shocked if we didn't see an office proposal pop up for the NL this coming year. The sub-area currently has the lowest vacancy rates in the state with higher rents than even the CBD. Maybe completing the arctic cat project will move that needle but who knows.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 15th, 2015, 10:07 am

If the Duffy Paper does actually move in the future, there will be some buildings that will be great for office in their portfolio. Will need to increase the window size for one of them for sure.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 15th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Wow, that's a pretty big space compared to their old one. I really like what's happening on 3rd Ave N with the new retailers and the hotel coming in!

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 15th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Interesting. Not much other baby stuff in the North Loop. It's good news, cause it's a good store, and an extra play-place will be nice, but also a bummer for NE that they are losing it.
NL seems like it has more young families than that part of NE. Also seems more family friendly and less of a party area.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 15th, 2015, 1:11 pm

The building kitty corner to this, the boarded up one, is owned by Ackerberg and is going to be renovated soon hopefully. On their website they state that they're searching for the right anchor tenant for offices. There are high ceilings, I think around 16-18 feet, in that building that would make it a pretty nice office space. But right now the building is in rough shape, couple that with the shuttered imported car service place and it makes the corner pretty "blah" right now. So that's why I see this project as a good thing happening.
Where on their site? I checked and I didn't see this listed as a property.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 15th, 2015, 1:16 pm

I'm not finding it either now. The sign may still be up on the building though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 15th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I think I found some plans for the old Gardner Hardware building.

http://themaytagbuilding.com/ The site has some renderings and drawings with renovation ideas.

A preliminary plan review permit was pulled on 12/2 by AWH Architects (per the City of Minneapolis site).

It'll be nice when this building gets back in use.

The website is copyrighted Saturday Properties, which sounded familiar - they were one of the three proposals for the Guthrie liner parcel at 800 Washington Ave S. He's a former Greco owner.
The most annoying website design ever... Rarg.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 15th, 2015, 1:32 pm

The building kitty corner to this, the boarded up one, is owned by Ackerberg and is going to be renovated soon hopefully. On their website they state that they're searching for the right anchor tenant for offices. There are high ceilings, I think around 16-18 feet, in that building that would make it a pretty nice office space. But right now the building is in rough shape, couple that with the shuttered imported car service place and it makes the corner pretty "blah" right now. So that's why I see this project as a good thing happening.
Where on their site? I checked and I didn't see this listed as a property.
As far as I know, the Lowry Morrison Building is still owned by John Rimarcik's LLC, though he might have enlisted Ackerberg to help market his spaces. This building will likely become a great addition to the neighborhood someday, but given its current state, getting it there will cost a fortune.

About 8 years ago, renovation of this building was planned as part of a 3/4 block development, but then the Great Recession hit, and that went down the tubes. Even with historic tax credits, making this pencil out for someone without its being a part of a larger development will be a challenge.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 15th, 2015, 4:11 pm

NL seems like it has more young families than that part of NE. Also seems more family friendly and less of a party area.
I don't know that I really agree on either statement here.

The area immediately adjacent (NIEBNA) probably has fewer families, but that's mostly because of its tight boundaries and incredibly expensive real estate. But there are quite a few families in Marcy-Holmes to the east and the St. Anthony East/West neighborhoods to the west.

As for partying, the North Loop takes the cake on that by far. NIEBNA has bars, yes, but there aren't a whole lot of clubs or rowdy bars (the Bulldog NE and maybe Honey are about as wild as it gets in that area).

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 16th, 2015, 11:03 am

I know it's blasphemous, but I actually like the parking ramp on the corner of 9th and Washington. I wish more were built in that style.