Soccer Stadium in Minneapolis (cancelled)

Historical Topics - Archives
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Farmers Market Soccer Stadium

Postby Didier » November 20th, 2014, 9:01 am

Even though there's nothing public, Minnesota United basically has to have a legitimate stadium plan to present, no? Otherwise, there's no way the league could commit to them, and it sounds like the commitment could come as soon as Dec. 6.

It's interesting that the news reports continue to say Minnesota United has the support of both the Pohlads and Glen Taylor. I'm skeptical of what that really means, though. Are they materially invested in the team? Are they going to New York for the presentation? Or did they "support" the concept of the team a few months ago, and now news reports are referencing that vague support because they don't know what else to say for background about MN United? If the Pohlads in particular are materially behind the team/stadium, that could be really important, since they're so invested in the Target Field area.

Minnesota United obviously has a lot to gain by going to MLS and everything to lose if the Vikings get an MLS team, but Minnesota United also would need to spend a lot of money to make the jump. It makes me wonder if the ultimate result will be the Vikings-United joining forces and playing at the Vikings stadium. Or, more cynically, maybe United is presenting in the hope that neither team makes the jump. United is seemingly healthy in the NASL right now and probably wouldn't suffer much at all if Las Vegas got the team.

My hope is that United and the Twins have some sort of behind-the-scenes plan in place to privately finance a stadium next to Target Field, but that seems too good to be true. But if there was some limited public component in place, whether it be for a public body to sell the land on the cheap or for the Hennepin Country recycling facility to be built into the stadium, wouldn't that have to be public by now?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » November 20th, 2014, 1:00 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/283375331.html

Apparently Mike Opat flew to New York to advocate for the MN United side. I don't know whether to be excited or worried. Remember, this is the guy who pulled together county money for Target Field but not for the Vikings.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 20th, 2014, 1:30 pm

I'm just guessing here but I can come up with very logical, simple reasons why the Polhad's would be involved with the MN United bid.

1. The family's development company, United Properties, is going to serve as the developer for the new Farmer Market's stadium and surrounding area.

2. The McGuire's need to bring in some expertise on how to run a major sports franchise from a business and logistics side, which the Pohlad's obviously bring along with Glen Taylor. The MN United is a very well run outfit but it would be like jumping from running the St. Paul Saints to the Twins over night. They are going to need some outside help and expertise to get everything off on the right foot.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 20th, 2014, 2:15 pm

its all good i just don't like seeing the typical local infighting. i want a team here regardless.

now we have county/mcguire vs city/wilfs.

mike opat is blessing the mcguire group so the farmers market site must be settled. i would love to see that area redeveloped. there is some things happening with glenwood ave so this could tie things together.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Even though I like the Farmers Market site and I want to see our existing United franchise preserved, I am disappointed that Mike Opat would weigh in on this to such a degree. Seriously, his presence taints the United proposal more than helping it IMO.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I disagree. I think Opat and the county being involved means this potential project will have far greater benefits to downtown and the metro than if the Wilf's get the expansion and they play at the Yet To Be Named (US Bank) Stadium. I don't think playing soccer inside the new stadium is best for the city. Plus if the Farmer's Market can be redeveloped in conjunction with the Green Line extension - it would be amazing. Just my 2 cents.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » November 20th, 2014, 2:26 pm

If there were public funds from the county they've already stated that the sales tax revenues outpace projections for Target Field. It would take a simple board action to redirect those funds to the Farmers Market area.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

http://www.startribune.com/sports/283375331.html

Apparently Mike Opat flew to New York to advocate for the MN United side. I don't know whether to be excited or worried. Remember, this is the guy who pulled together county money for Target Field but not for the Vikings.
That's also the financing deal that actually *worked.*

The county made the right move in both cases.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Even though I like the Farmers Market site and I want to see our existing United franchise preserved, I am disappointed that Mike Opat would weigh in on this to such a degree. Seriously, his presence taints the United proposal more than helping it IMO.
Why? I mean, yeah, Opat's a jerk and all but he does have gravitas when it comes to these kinds of deals.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2014, 2:45 pm

For what it's worth, there's no indication that the city's portion of the financing for the Viking's stadium isn't working, only the state's portion.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Depends on how you define working.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 20th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Depends on how you define working.
I'll just keep tossing up these softballs for you as long as you keep swinging, OK?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Sounds good. I'm batting close to 1000.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 20th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Sounds good. I'm batting close to 1000.
Technically it's 1.000 but who's counting

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 20th, 2014, 3:53 pm

But no one says "I'm batting one point zero zero zero," they say "I'm batting a thousand"

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 20th, 2014, 4:00 pm

If Minnesota United has a legitimate stadium plan in place, it's really hard to imagine the league going with any of the other proposals. An established team with deep connections in the local soccer community and a downtown soccer-specific stadium in a major city? OK.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » November 20th, 2014, 4:10 pm

It all comes down to money. MLS wants a successful team and the group with the most money will probably have the best chance of succeeding . I'm in favor of a soccer specific stadium as long as there's no public money involved and thin the MN United group should get the selection. But I can see how the MLS might lean the other direction since the Vikings stadium is already under construction and the owners should have money to throw at the team.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 20th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I find it hard to believe that they would not want to get a franchise here in MN. We are one of the few markets that has 4 major sports teams. With the number of immigrants that like soccer and the number of kids that play soccer in school I see no reason that MN would not get a franchise.

Also, Soccer, like baseball is meant to be played outdoors.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 21st, 2014, 7:06 am

interesting article on MLS soccer stadiums and downtowns.
http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/w ... wn/382942/

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » November 21st, 2014, 7:59 am

Good article. I’m not surprised that Seattle is considered the model situation. The MLS must be giddy about attendance at CenturyLink.