Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby David Greene » June 5th, 2015, 4:33 pm

We've discussed this before but the Wedge is actually quite affordable for fresh organic produce. The boxed stuff is a killer. We never buy that at the Wedge.

It's a huge benefit to have multiple groceries with different price points in the area.

When I say "in heaven" I mean something that allows the Lunds property to be redeveloped while keeping Lunds around. If they choose to close the store for 18 months, that's cool. If Lunds takes over Cub and Cub takes over Kowalski's (or Lunds takes over Kowalski's), that's fine too. I actually would hate to lose Cub from the neighborhood. IME Kowalski's is inferior to Lunds so I wouldn't mind losing it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 5th, 2015, 5:28 pm

We've discussed this before but the Wedge is actually quite affordable for fresh organic produce. The boxed stuff is a killer. We never buy that at the Wedge.

It's a huge benefit to have multiple groceries with different price points in the area.

When I say "in heaven" I mean something that allows the Lunds property to be redeveloped while keeping Lunds around. If they choose to close the store for 18 months, that's cool. If Lunds takes over Cub and Cub takes over Kowalski's (or Lunds takes over Kowalski's), that's fine too. I actually would hate to lose Cub from the neighborhood. IME Kowalski's is inferior to Lunds so I wouldn't mind losing it.
Cheapo going into that old Apple specialty store on Hennepin, next to Green Mill, would be about the right size for them I think. Their customer counts, would not take up that much space as far as parking goes, from Green Mill which I believe now owns the properties. It would fill up a dead zone along Hennepin. That is my win-win

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 6th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Cheapo going into that old Apple specialty store on Hennepin, next to Green Mill, would be about the right size for them I think.
*Head explodes*

God, could this GET any better?!?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 7th, 2015, 6:01 pm

On Twitter, David Brauer suggested the old Rockler Hardware space (LynLake), which apparently has a full size basement as well as ample off-street parking. I think the former FirstTech buildings (remember it was two separate buildings they occupied) are each probably a bit too small. CDs and movies still take up a lot of room. A less prominent space with a full basement level is probably exactly what they need to survive (for a few more years at most...let's be honest that their business model is doomed to be obsolete by the next Census)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 7th, 2015, 9:44 pm

let's be honest that their business model is doomed to be obsolete by the next Census)
If audio-hipsters were knowledgable, yes. Cheapo went big into vinyl several years ago. I suspect they'll be suckering people out of their money on that for a little while at least.

I go to the movie and Applause (jazz) departments mostly. Those are definitely on their way out, unfortunately. I hate giving my money to non-local businesses.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 8th, 2015, 12:09 am

There are still a lot of vinyl stores in Minneapolis David. Tree house had a really good jazz selection last I checked. And doesn't electric fetus have movies? I've always found it ironic that cheapo records really aren't that cheap compared to other vinyl stores..

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 8th, 2015, 8:17 am

There are still a lot of vinyl stores in Minneapolis David. Tree house had a really good jazz selection last I checked. And doesn't electric fetus have movies? I've always found it ironic that cheapo records really aren't that cheap compared to other vinyl stores..
Last time I went into Treehouse their selection was paltry. I listen mainly to the pre-war stuff, which is pretty hard to find outside the really big names like Ellington and Armstrong.

I don't buy movies all that often but CDs are essential for the old car.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 8th, 2015, 11:29 am

Okay, straying a little, but as someone who just moved near the Wedge, I have to say I was pretty disappointed by their produce. It seemed more expensive than I would have guessed and none of it seemed that fresh. I bought some local stuff that was quite expensive and a day later, it already seemed unappealing. Given how close I was, I was definitely hoping to get more legs out of it. But both Whole Foods and Lunds have better, cheaper produce as far as my experience has been (in an admittedly short period of time).

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 11th, 2015, 7:17 am

On the lack of promenade curb cuts, this gentleman certainly would like them: https://twitter.com/capandcane/status/6 ... 0336027649

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 15th, 2015, 8:07 am

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 15th, 2015, 8:47 am

Does not surprise me. Sell while the market is hot. I believe that both have fairly low vacancy rates which should make it and easy sell. The fact that there are other proposals out there shows that the market is there and that it should be a good investment until they have to start replacing the cement board. I don't think that the Lynlake/Uptown area will be cooling down any time soon. Things may slow down, but not stopping, I think that there will be projects going on for a while to come.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 15th, 2015, 11:01 am

Vacancy rates are hovering around 2% in Uptown and these two buildings are in upper 90s occupancy.

It is safe to say we will see additional proposals beyond the Cheapo site. What is strange though is that CPM is underbuilding at the sites west of Hennepin (1620 & 1710, with just 6 and 7 units, respectively). The Lagoon & Irving building (under construction) is well under 100 units as well.

Hopefully some clinic space for Planned Parenthood can be built into either Mozaic2 or Calhoun Square Rumored Hotel plans, as that would get the ball rolling on that block. I suppose that could be years away though as those large projects would have to be 100% complete before PP could vacate their current space. I doubt they're looking to relocate too far away. Could be that the Cub/Arby's properties move before the PP/Acme block for that reason. Man, how cool would that be if both Cub and Lunds redeveloped into mixed-use in the coming years, keeping both grocery stores on the redeveloped sites while adding hundreds of residential units?

Is Wells Fargo still going ahead with their plans for a new 1-story bank on their current site? I know they are downsizing the drive-up function to a single or double lane of just ATMs, without the full drive-up window functionality. You would think a limited drive-up operation like that could swing it in a mixed-use building.

Another proposal that will likely resurface in a couple years is the Buzza parking lot: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/ne ... -roadblock They have to wait 5 years for some National Park Service stipulations to expire - just read the end of the article.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 15th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Any predictions on redevelopment of the TCF/Great Clips/Mesa/etc. site? There's a huge parking lot in the back just waiting for construction and the existing one story building ain't too hot either.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 15th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Any predictions on redevelopment of the TCF/Great Clips/Mesa/etc. site? There's a huge parking lot in the back just waiting for construction and the existing one story building ain't too hot either.
I'm with David there, in that the single story building should come down to make way for a project that would cover the site from Lake to Lagoon. They can hid any parking underground or in the middle of the block, behind the buildings fronting Lake and Lagoon. I'm for offices fronting Lake and residential fronting Lagoon with retail fronting the street level on both streets. I think that 6 to 10 stories would be the perfect height for the towers.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 15th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Ackerberg owns that parcel. It has roughly the same footprint as Mosaic.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 15th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Ackerberg owns that parcel. It has roughly the same footprint as Mosaic.
Outside Lund's and the Theater, doesn't Ackerberg own the rest of that block??

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 15th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 15th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I'm with David there, in that the single story building should come down to make way for a project that would cover the site from Lake to Lagoon. They can hid any parking underground or in the middle of the block, behind the buildings fronting Lake and Lagoon. I'm for offices fronting Lake and residential fronting Lagoon with retail fronting the street level on both streets. I think that 6 to 10 stories would be the perfect height for the towers.
One must-have is a boulevard between the sidewalk and Lagoon. Right now pedestrians have to dodge utility poles and signposts. I'd love to see Lagoon narrowed a bit to add boulevards but I'm doubtful that would happen. That means the city taking a strip of land from parcels and creating the extra right-of-way.

If there's going to be retail on Lagoon, which I would love to see, there has to be a much better pedestrian environment.

Speaking of boulevards, I'd also like to see them restored on Bryant south of 28th but I'm sure that's incredibly unlikely to happen any time soon due to the bus route.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 15th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Outside Lund's and the Theater, doesn't Ackerberg own the rest of that block??
Welsh owns the middle one on Hennepin (directly south of the Theater).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 15th, 2015, 1:53 pm

One must-have is a boulevard between the sidewalk and Lagoon. Right now pedestrians have to dodge utility poles and signposts. I'd love to see Lagoon narrowed a bit to add boulevards but I'm doubtful that would happen. That means the city taking a strip of land from parcels and creating the extra right-of-way.
If there's going to be retail on Lagoon, which I would love to see, there has to be a much better pedestrian environment.
Yes, absolutely. The sidewalks on Lagoon are so narrow on both sides of the street that I actually just considered the "what if?" of just having one good sidewalk instead of two shitty ones. I didn't consider it very long, as it's a terrible idea in such a busy pedestrian area. The current profile of Lagoon (west of Hennepin) is 3 driving lanes and one parking lane. One of those driving lanes (left side) becomes a parking lane off-peak. Maybe 42' curb to curb. I don't think 3 driving lanes are necessary at any time of day. If you could do two driving lanes and a parking lane (13' left/curb lane, 11' right lane, 7-8' parking lane) you've just freed up at least 10' to go towards wider sidewalks and maybe boulevard. It's doable for sure, in the current right of way. The only problem is that it involves moving curbs on both sides of the street...and that gets expensive. You're probably waiting on the next full reconstruction of Lagoon for that to happen.
Speaking of boulevards, I'd also like to see them restored on Bryant south of 28th but I'm sure that's incredibly unlikely to happen any time soon due to the bus route.
Easy, keep the Route 4 on Lyndale until 36th Street. This would allow Bryant to be calmed between the Greenway and 36th and the addition of boulevards on Bryant. 29th to 36th is easily the worst stretch of the entire Bryant Ave "bike boulevard" due to the high traffic volumes. Franklin to Greenway is pretty good, though it could use a full traffic diverter in there somewhere to stop traffic from going more than a few blocks. South of 36th is pretty good too as traffic seems to drop off quite a bit. The only other real busy intersection south of there is 50th. I'm sure Metro Transit would be opposed, because they hate change. It's pretty easy to make the argument that Lyndale has more commercial activity than Bryant between 31st and 36th. Density is probably pretty close either way. I should do a streets.mn post about this... If you could rally the bike community and a certain councilmember that this was a good idea, I think it could be done. The money to re-do Bryant might be a little harder to come by, unless Bryant is already in the CLIC plan (which is entirely possible...it is in rough shape)