Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby IllogicalJake » August 25th, 2014, 12:47 pm

For anyone riding the train today – An incident on University has interrupted service. Not sure what happened.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 25th, 2014, 1:24 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » August 25th, 2014, 1:48 pm

I'm not sure what the pedestrian crossing timing should be, but I know I'd measured the green+yellow time for east-west traffic along University at Snelling at around 30-35 seconds, versus 60-65 seconds for north-south traffic. It's about 85 feet curb-to-curb to cross Snelling, vs. about 100 feet for crossing University. If we assume the east-west timing is nearly at the minimum, then I'd expect the minimum for the north-south crossing to be 35-41 seconds.

Some quick poking around suggests that pedestrian signals are normally timed assuming a crossing speed of 3.5 feet per second, which works out to 24-25 seconds for 85 feet and about 29 seconds for 100 feet. There's some padding at the start and end of that period.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm

For anyone riding the train today – An incident on University has interrupted service. Not sure what happened.
LRT vehicle struck a pedestrian at Chatsworth. Unfortunately this was one of the intersections that just received higher train priority last week.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 25th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Did that higher priority go into effect yet, or was it just approved? I was on a train that got stopped at Grotto at about 12:15am on Saturday night, which kinda took me by surprise.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 25th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Did that higher priority go into effect yet, or was it just approved? I was on a train that got stopped at Grotto at about 12:15am on Saturday night, which kinda took me by surprise.
Not sure. I rode through that area twice on Saturday during the day and didn't get stopped at those intersections at all.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 25th, 2014, 2:53 pm

I rode the line in frog town during the lunch hour today. It was moving pretty well and making the Western, Mackubin, Grotto, Victoria and Chatsworth lights. The two trains I was on barely missed the light at Dale. There has to be a way to extend the University signal fifteen seconds at the busy intersections.
Last edited by VAStationDude on August 25th, 2014, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » August 25th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Very small sample size (1), but I rode the full length Saturday and the train felt like it was making far better time than usual. Especially eastbound.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 25th, 2014, 3:13 pm

From Kare11

"ST. PAUL, Minn. - A pedestrian was struck by a westbound Green Line train in St. Paul on Monday afternoon, according to a report from Minnesota Public Radio.

A witness told MPR that the person was riding a long-board skateboard across University Avenue at Chatsworth Street when he was struck.

The incident occurred at about 1 p.m. It briefly delayed Green Line traffic for about an hour. Metro Transit spokesman Drew Kerr told MPR that the pedestrian was taken to Regions Hospital. The extent of the injuries were not known.

Metro Transit is investigating the incident."

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Oh my god of course it was a longboarder. His board probably got stuck in the tracks. That's why you always carry your board over them

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » August 25th, 2014, 4:11 pm

From KSTP: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3542238.shtml
The person was hit by the westbound train while illegally walking in a non-designated crosswalk area at the intersection, according to Metro Transit spokesman Drew Kerr.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Best place to grab a bite to eat on the line? Nothing too pricy like around or under $10

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 25th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Best place to grab a bite to eat on the line? Nothing too pricy like around or under $10
More than $10 but if you haven't been to Mai Village, you have to go there.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 25th, 2014, 4:32 pm

There are a bunch of cheap but good restaurants at Victoria right next to the station. Hop out and eat whatever looks best.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 25th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 25th, 2014, 4:58 pm

I like on's Thai kitchen

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 25th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I'm just going to eat somewhere around the stadium village. Got off at Victoria and got yelled at by a group saying "eh white boy go back to linden hills."

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 25th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Rode the line from Downtown St Paul to Metrodome station late Sunday afternoon. Got off at Lexington to go to Popeye's for an early dinner (don't judge lol). Left Popeye's at 4:10. Next train didn't arrive till 4:33. We proceeded to hit every traffic light, including Griggs St (!) Hamline, and about 8 others. St Paul really needs to get it together.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 25th, 2014, 8:51 pm

I highly recommend iPho/Saigon restaurant on the south side of University between Victoria and Dale stations, it's amazing and well under $10. Their banh mi are like $3.50 and their pho is maybe $8 tops.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 25th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Got my University zone light rail card today, it's good for the three campus green line stations only, as expected. What surprised me is that it's a placebo - no chip in the card. Also, while they are swiping University id cards when they issue them, they aren't linking the card number with a person or keeping track of who gets what card.

In retrospect this makes sense - it's only valid in conjunction with a University id, and its purpose is only to provide proof that you are *currently* affiliated with the U since U cards have no expiration while these cards are good for one academic year. No chip means cheaper production, no danger of conflict with the go-to card most of us also have in our wallet, no special programming of a different special fare type within a specific zone. Realistically, no cop is going to bother checking fares on campus anyway.