Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
angrysuburbanite
Nicollet Mall

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby angrysuburbanite » May 3rd, 2024, 2:00 pm

Not to be too much of a downer, but I would of thought that after 20 years we would of had more then 2 frequent train lines in the cities (although tbf I was 6 and probably didn't know anything beyond it was cool)
I wonder how we compare to other cities in terms of how long it takes to add more rail after the first/new line was added
I do agree that it is frustrating how little has been built since then, but the next decade or so will over double the size of our system through LRT, BRT, and aBRT (and most likely corresponding local bus expansion). Compared to many regions around the US, we have a pretty good outlook for transportation expansion in my opinion. Right now we have a handful of corridors that have good service, but it is slowly turning into a full network. Will it be enough to significantly change the travel patterns of Twin Citizens? No, but everything is a step in the right direction. By the 2030s, I would not be surprised if transit ridership surpassed the 2015 peak.

It is also important to note that Metro Transit does not have the fiscal cliff issues many agencies will have to deal with in the late 2020s, when many of our current projects begin to go into service, which may attract some new residents who are willing to continue expansion past that point.

I like to be optimistic when it comes to transit expansion. :)
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

Lando Laker
Block E

Postby Lando Laker » May 3rd, 2024, 6:43 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but when ever looked into the history behind the blue line, Jessie Ventura's name pops up both self claiming that he's the reason why it got built despite the GOP and DFL digging in their heels and that there would of been more lines built if he had gotten a second term. But given that it's Ventura, I'm going take what ever he says with a massive grain of salt at best.
It was Jesse all the way on this. He spoke of his time in other cities with subways and public transportation. Since there would be many stops like the VA, MOA, MSP, the stadiums etc it was an easier sell to the legislature paired with the right of way that was cleared for a highway tat was never built along Hwy 55, it was ready made for rail. Jesse said these projects are 100 year projects and we need to think of it that way like the NY subway. He was so spot on.

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » May 13th, 2024, 1:01 am

Transportation Committee Presentation - June 15, 2024 Service changes and Workforce Update:
https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... nfo-3.aspx
- Adding service - Routes 2, 25, 32, 805, 852 Sat, 804 extend to Co Rd H
- Still on track for 12 min frequency on the light-rail lines with the August changes

Transportation Committee Presentation - 2024 First Quarter Ridership:
https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... nfo-2.aspx
- Ridership growth, also some interesting ROI graphics.

Wezle
City Center

Postby Wezle » May 13th, 2024, 7:47 am

Excited to see how the frequency increases will affect monthly LRT ridership. I do wonder if 15 or 12 minute frequencies are included in the ridership modelling of the Blue and Green line extensions and if that'll change afterwards.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 13th, 2024, 2:07 pm

Nice to see that Northstar has now surpassed (checks notes) vanpool to be the second least used transit mode in the metro.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 13th, 2024, 8:14 pm

Transportation Committee Presentation - June 15, 2024 Service changes and Workforce Update:
https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... nfo-3.aspx
- Adding service - Routes 2, 25, 32, 805, 852 Sat, 804 extend to Co Rd H
- Still on track for 12 min frequency on the light-rail lines with the August changes

Transportation Committee Presentation - 2024 First Quarter Ridership:
https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... nfo-2.aspx
- Ridership growth, also some interesting ROI graphics.
As one of the 11 people in training to be a Train Operator, it seems Metro Transit is already setting their sights on bringing back 10-minute frequency in the near future, but in addition to the problem of hiring new operators there's also having enough trainers to train the new hires. On our out-of-service and revenue runs on the Blue Line there needs to be two new hires with each trainer since there isn't enough for everyone to have one-on-one training.

Another issue with getting back to 10-minute frequency is we'll need a lot more Train Operators very soon for the Green Line Extension, and every current Train Operator will also need to be trained on the Green Line Extension.

12-minute frequency on each route is definitely achievable in August, but I know the end goal is 10-minute frequency on each route, which as someone who tries to commute using the Blue Line to reach the Operations & Maintenance building on Franklin Avenue I absolutely support.

In case anyone is interested in becoming a Train Operator, keep in mind in the first few weeks of training you start off driving a bus. You won't be picking up passengers, but I had the false impression when I signed up that no bus driving is involved and you go straight to rail. Having driven the bus and the train now I firmly believe operating the train is easier than driving the bus, but it's not as easy as some may expect.

angrysuburbanite
Nicollet Mall

Postby angrysuburbanite » May 13th, 2024, 8:41 pm

Nice to see that Northstar has now surpassed (checks notes) vanpool to be the second least used transit mode in the metro.
I love how the productivity per in-service hour tanked right after they added new service. Ridership hasn't really come back at all other than the sport events they ran service to since the frequency of the buses which shadow the route outweighs the speed of the train.

Re: LRT frequency--
Great to hear they have their minds set on 10-min frequency already! I am a bit nervous that the extensions will tank the frequency once they open, even for a little while. If the entire METRO system ran every 10 minutes (or better) I think it could win a lot of choice riders. How many operators are required for 10min frequency on the system as is vs the system with the expansion? About double? Staffing is probably the biggest hurdle to jump with future expansion.

Not to throw too many questions at you, but I am curious what LRT training is like? Are you trained for both Blue and Green? Are the different LRVs different to drive? It sounds like such a fun yet nerve-wracking job...
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 14th, 2024, 9:13 am

Re: LRT frequency--
Great to hear they have their minds set on 10-min frequency already! I am a bit nervous that the extensions will tank the frequency once they open, even for a little while. If the entire METRO system ran every 10 minutes (or better) I think it could win a lot of choice riders. How many operators are required for 10min frequency on the system as is vs the system with the expansion? About double? Staffing is probably the biggest hurdle to jump with future expansion.
Ironically, the delay in completion of the SWLRT is something of a blessing in disguise for Metro Transit, because had it opened on schedule there is no way they would've had enough train operators.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 14th, 2024, 9:44 am

Not to throw too many questions at you, but I am curious what LRT training is like? Are you trained for both Blue and Green? Are the different LRVs different to drive? It sounds like such a fun yet nerve-wracking job...
For now we’ve only been trained on the Blue Line but in the next couple weeks we’ll be training on the Green Line, and eventually we along with every other operator will be trained on the Green Line Extension.

The Type 1 LRVs (made by Bombardier) are very different from the newer Type 2 and 3 LRVs (made by Siemens). All the types have their pros and cons but overall I prefer the Type 2 and 3s as they’re easier to operate.

It’s definitely a nerve wracking job, and requires a lot of focus all the time, plus sometimes multi-tasking like operating the train while talking or listening to the radio. Then there’s the problematic people like door holders that make it much more difficult to stay on schedule.

All that isn’t to say it’s a terrible job, but it is a difficult job. We also have fun though like waving to kids watching the trains, and there’s plenty of good people out there who respect the train operators.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2024, 10:14 am

Thank you for driving the train!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » May 14th, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thank you for driving the train!
♫ A transit method that's much more sane
You get us there, you're a pal and a confidante ♫

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » May 14th, 2024, 9:02 pm

For now we’ve only been trained on the Blue Line but in the next couple weeks we’ll be training on the Green Line, and eventually we along with every other operator will be trained on the Green Line Extension.
Interesting, I would of thought training for the SWLRT wouldn't start anytime soon since what, we're still looking at 2025 for the Kenilworth tunnel?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 14th, 2024, 10:57 pm

Interesting, I would of thought training for the SWLRT wouldn't start anytime soon since what, we're still looking at 2025 for the Kenilworth tunnel?
The Green Line training in the next couple weeks is just on the part that's already in operation between the downtowns. The Green Line Extension/Southwest LRT training is at least a year away.