[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Retail News

Postby Nathan » September 9th, 2014, 12:36 pm

I give the GSpot about two moreweeks.

Well, they got nearly a year. Signs are down and the windows are papered at the Adonis/ GLBT Spot. Undies no more.
thank jeebus. it made me so uncomfortable seeing the faint outline of genitalia every time i walked to the bank. what might we get now?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby ECtransplant » September 9th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Nothing compares to Caffreys.
This.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » September 10th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Now I want their reuben.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » September 11th, 2014, 6:31 am

Nothing compares to Caffreys.
This.
Now I want their reuben.
with extra horseradish is how i do it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 11th, 2014, 7:35 am

add the cherry pepper relish to ANY sub, and you win.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 11th, 2014, 9:54 am

It's kind of crazy how successful (and delicious) Caffrey's has remained over the years despite incredibly poor management and a ridiculously filthy restaurant. Somehow I feel like that intrigue only contributes to the business...

I mean, they refuse to pay for even a basic website. Someone (MPLS.TV) actually created a tumblr page to share their menu, as a public service: http://caffreysmenu.tumblr.com/
Ridiculous.

A business that successful and cherished should have a second location by now, period. A friend used to work there in like '11-'12 and constantly lamented how poorly run and disorganized the whole thing was. He said the owner was a complete joke. The wheels could fall off at basically any moment if they made a few missteps.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » September 13th, 2014, 10:46 am

It's kind of crazy how successful (and delicious) Caffrey's has remained over the years despite incredibly poor management and a ridiculously filthy restaurant. Somehow I feel like that intrigue only contributes to the business...
It is one of the enigma's of the restaurant industry (and an annoying one if you are in the industry) - well run restaurants aren't always successful and successful restaurants aren't always run well. The French Meadow is another example of the latter.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » September 22nd, 2014, 8:31 am

A Jersey Mike's? I can make my own coldcut sandwich thank you much and there's one in a stripmall down from my parents place. We went a couple times and meh, haven't missed it for years. Americans have a strange love for bland sandwich chains: this, Jimmy John's, Subway, and they want to pay a premium for them too. I'll pay for a good sandwich, in fact, I just had a great torta on Central (I got a little heavy handed with the hot salsa which I always seem to forget when hungover that spicy food not the best idea: because now you're hungover and sweating). And there's already Davanni's and Milo's down the street, not to mention other restaurants where I'm sure you'd find a better sandwich.
Milo's, Jersey Mikes, JJs, Erbert and Gerbert's, all basically the same. If you dont like them, dont go. I personally love those kind of subs. And it would cost me more to buy everything to make my own, unless I wanted to eat the same thing for 4 strait days. And the convenience is great as well. So, easy on the bashing of everything you dont like. It is getting pretty old.

Caffrey's is outstanding. We order that to the office about once a week. That place must make a killing.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 22nd, 2014, 8:37 am

I give the GSpot about two moreweeks.

Well, they got nearly a year. Signs are down and the windows are papered at the Adonis/ GLBT Spot. Undies no more.
thank jeebus. it made me so uncomfortable seeing the faint outline of genitalia every time i walked to the bank. what might we get now?
I just heard/read on facebook that this place isn't closing for good, it's moving across the street (not sure where exactly) from The Nicollet Diner. Which is a pretty good place for it I guess with The 19, Rainbow Road, Muffin Top, and Nicollet Diner right there. All are "gay" businesses.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 22nd, 2014, 8:46 am

there is already a bridal shop where g spot was

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 22nd, 2014, 9:42 am

What is 'muffin top'?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 22nd, 2014, 9:49 am

What is 'muffin top'?
It's a coffee shop, formerly Gigi's Java House or something like that. I haven't been in there so all I know is what I read on Facebook from friends who go or work there. Somehow the owners of The Nicollet Diner acquired it and turned it into Muffin Top Cafe which they touted as Minneapolis only gay coffee shop.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 22nd, 2014, 12:40 pm

Excuse me, Leather and Latte is a very gay owned coffee establishment in Uptown, and has been around for a year now. They apparently need to get out and expand their horizons!! Not to mention that Uncommon Grounds, (also Uptown), and Wilde Roast are both gay owned coffee establishments and are supported by the gay community. To say that they are more gay would only be true if they are gay exclusive and no one else is allowed in. I really doubt that is the case for them. If they are going to claim such BS, then I'll not bother to check them out when I'm in the area.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 22nd, 2014, 12:48 pm

Excuse me, Leather and Latte is a very gay owned coffee establishment , and has been around for a year now. They apparently need to get out and expand their horizons!! Not to mention that Uncommon Grounds and Wilde Roast are both gay owned and supported by the gay community. To say that they are more gay would only be true if they are gay exclusive and no one else is allowed in. I really doubt that is the case for them. If they are going to claim such BS, then I'll not bother to check them out when I'm in the area.
Just what I read... I did check out their website and it doesn't say that there. Maybe it was a friend of mine who went and said they advertised that way, not sure. Anyway, their website makes it very clear they are at least gay oriented.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 22nd, 2014, 3:44 pm

there is already a bridal shop where g spot was
lol
It's a coffee shop, formerly Gigi's Java House or something like that. I haven't been in there so all I know is what I read on Facebook from friends who go or work there. Somehow the owners of The Nicollet Diner acquired it and turned it into Muffin Top Cafe which they touted as Minneapolis only gay coffee shop.
So this place, every day I go by it either on foot or on the bus, and the windows have never been clean. Through a nasty, smudged bus window other side of the street, I can tell that the windows of this place are nasty and smudged and have potentially never been Windexed ever. They should clean their windows.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 24th, 2014, 11:07 am

LynLake Felafel King is closed now. What are the chances the Iron Door move into this space? Is it residential above? If so, would the noise of a bar be too much for that location?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 24th, 2014, 3:13 pm

LynLake Felafel King is closed now. What are the chances the Iron Door move into this space? Is it residential above? If so, would the noise of a bar be too much for that location?
Unless they knock down some walls that space is too narrow for much of anything. Bar maybe, but you will have a hard time with having live music in its present configuration.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 26th, 2014, 7:49 am

FirstTech site bought by Green Mill CEO.

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/mor ... 313&r=full

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2014, 8:30 am

That warrants a big HMMMMMMMM!

Last we heard he was proposing a krudo concept in The Walkway... and now he has now amassed a fairly large parcel here. One could only hope maybe he plans to redevelop it with his restaurants being anchor retail tenants? that would be pretty awesome. He seems to be onto trends, craft brew, unique foodie venues, and such. It would be a great place for a mixed use project, he has to see that.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2014, 9:21 am

$5 says he bought it just for the parking.