3535 Grand Ave S

3535 Grand Ave S

Postby twincitizen » November 12th, 2012, 12:19 pm

http://www.lyndale.org/node/375 (Lyndale Neighborhood News story from March 30, 2012)

It looks like this one never made the jump from Minnescraper.

4 stories / 48' / 30 units planned to be built on a long vacant lot across the street from the former location of the excellent Butter Bakery & Cafe (which has since moved to 3700 Nicollet). The building will contain a mix of one and two bedroom units ranging from 715 to 960 square feet.

This BKV / CPM project surfaced in late March and made the rounds at the neighborhood and planning commission. The city let them get by with 28 underground spaces for 30 units, which is an encouraging sign. That was a sticking point with the neighborhood, but the project only needed setback variances to go forward, no rezoning or anything. The original plan was to sail through approvals and begin construction summer 2012, but...

The people across the street at Present Moment (obscure used books, detox herbs, tea, etc) filed an appeal, but that was denied by the Zoning & Planning Committee on 7/12/12 and the full City Council (Tuthill absent) on 7/20/12.

I can confirm that, as of a week ago, nothing has moved yet. The "For Sale" sign is still on the lot, as it has been for years, but with a big red "SOLD" slapped across it. I can't imagine this wouldn't go forward, especially being a smaller project. I would totally live here.
twincitizen

Re: 3535 Grand Ave S

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 12th, 2012, 12:41 pm

I love infill like this, even though I generally prefer to have true urban infill positioned the other way (shotgun style) vs. across the yard, but this project is pretty massive and there may be little room in the back to expand.
min-chi-cbus
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » November 12th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Definitely a nice addition, I always wonder why a business like that would object to 30 -50 new potential customers RIGHT across the street.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby mattaudio » November 13th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Nice. And I'm glad the city might finally be getting some sense of thought seeing that they no longer assume incumbents are more entitled to free car storage on the street than anyone else.
mattaudio
IDS Center

Postby woofner » November 13th, 2012, 2:30 pm

fotoapparatic wrote:I always wonder why a business like that would object to 30 -50 new potential customers RIGHT across the street.

Because they are old-school Mpls townies. On a side note, a friend recently spied Alanis Morrisette walking out of Present Moments. I asked and she was fully clothed, unfortunately.
"Who rescued whom!"
woofner
IDS Center

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 13th, 2012, 3:06 pm

redisciple wrote:
fotoapparatic wrote:I always wonder why a business like that would object to 30 -50 new potential customers RIGHT across the street.

Because they are old-school Mpls townies. On a side note, a friend recently spied Alanis Morrisette walking out of Present Moments. I asked and she was fully clothed, unfortunately.

NO thank you for that visual! :shock:
min-chi-cbus
IDS Center

Postby twincitizen » November 30th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Reuter Walton Commercial, also based in Minneapolis, is the general contractor for the 92-unit City Walk Uptown project at 1312 W. Lake St., and the 56-unit Elysian project at 711 Fourth St. SE near the University of Minnesota.

Both started construction this fall, according to Nick Walton, co-owner of Reuter Walton Commercial.

Financing is strong “for the right project in the right market,” said Walton, who’s also working on a 30-unit project that’s scheduled to break ground in December at 35th Street and Grand Avenue.

http://finance-commerce.com/2012/11/200 ... -november/

That's what's up. I'll be sure to get some photos when it does, because I'll probably be graduated and funemployed in January!
twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2013, 1:52 pm

No ground has been broken here yet. Maybe they decided it just wasn't worth it after Butter Cafe & Bakery relocated to 3700 Nicollet. ;)

I really hope this one happens. It would be great to see smaller-scale infill like this throughout the city. Now that I work in south-burbia, I would actually consider living here, assuming the rent is lower than the Uptown mega-projects. I'd much rather live in a 15-30 unit building than a mega-complex.
twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Apparently this one fell apart and the land is for sale again: http://www.barkerhedges.com/idx/propert ... tails.html

I'd noticed that the "Sold" had been removed from the "For Sale" sign, figured something went wrong. No idea why though...
twincitizen

Return to Minneapolis - General